British Virgin Islands (BVI) hurricane recovery update
We check out what’s what on the progress of the BVI hurricane recovery programme, as at 15 February 2018
Information supplied by the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO). Article written by Travel Writer Linda Jackson
BVI hurricane recovery update as at 15 February 2018
It’s surprising how quickly the Caribbean islands recover after receiving a blow from a hurricane. But the 2017 hurricane season, specifically hurricanes Irma and Maria, really hit some of the countries hard, including the British Virgin Islands (BVI). We’ve been checking up on the BVI hurricane recovery progress, so here is a brief update of what’s what.
First and foremost, electricity has been restored to 85 percent of most islands – Easter 2018 should see full power on all the islands. Despite all the water plants are up and running, here are still some places without water as the distribution network was severely damaged. The internet and mobile networks across the islands are now accessible.
BVI hurricane recovery report on airport
Beef Island Airport is now fully operational – LIAT, Cape Air, VI Airlinks, private charters, and InterCaribbean are operating normal flights (InterCaribbean connects the BVI to the Dominican Republic, Puerto Rico, and the Turks and Caicos Islands.
BVI hurricane recovery of hotels and attractions
Four museums on Tortola are still closed but all other attractions, including the famous ‘Baths’ are open.
Some accommodations have re-opened – around 400 rooms and 1,000 berths – but rebuilding will continue into 2019.
BVI hotels & accommodations opening dates
- Anegada Beach Club – reopened 1 February 2018
- Biras Creek (Virgin Gorda) – partial opening (12 rooms) November 2018
- Bitter End Yach Club – reopening in 2019 (date TBC)
- Cooper Island Resort – reopens 1 March 2018
- Eustatia Resort – reopening November 2018
- Guana Island Resort – anticipated opening July 2018
- Mosquito Island – one house reopening October 2018
- Necker Island Resort – partial opening October 2018
- Oil Nut Bay (Virgin Gorda) – partial opening 1 March 2018
- Peter Island Resort & Spa – partial opening Autumn 2018
- Pussers Marina Cay – reopening anticipated October 2019
- Rosewood Little Dix Bay (Virgin Gorda) – opening 2019 (date TBC)
- Scrub Island Resort – anticipated opening July 2018
[Published 19 February 2018]
For latest updates on the BVI hurricane recovery check out BVI Tourism
For the latest hurricane recovery update for other islands go to the general Caribbean hurricane recovery update
Information supplied by the Caribbean Tourism Organization (CTO)
Image on this BVI hurricane recovery update page is copyright of the British Virgin Islands Tourist Board