Bahamas Carnival, Festivals & Special Events
There are a lot of Bahamas carnival, festivals and events throughout the year – those held during the peak tourist season (December-April) are particularly popular.
Bahamas special events throughout the year
Junkanoo is the colourful annual Bahamas carnival celebration which traditionally takes place over Christmas and New Year. Now, due to its popularity, Junkanoo Summer has been introduced throughout June and July.
Parades are also accompanied by the rhythmic sounds of goatskin drums, cowbells, bugles and whistles.
There are a lot of events and festivals held throughout the islands during the rest of the year, such as the Pineapple Festival (Eleuthera), Beer Festival (Exuma), and Bahamas Body Building Championship (Nassau/Paradise Island).
In addition there is the Conch Festival (October), Mutton Festival (November), and the Bahamas Culinary Classic Food & Wine Festival (November). The main Bahamas Carnival, festivals and events are LISTED BELOW.
Bahamas Carnival & Festivals
- Junkanoo is the colourful annual carnival celebration in the Bahamas which traditionally takes place over Christmas and New Year. Now, due to its popularity, Junkanoo Summer has been introduced throughout June and July.
- Goombay Summer Festival (three months of parades, music, feasts, street fairs, art performances, and fashion shows)
- Nassau Classic Car Festival (January)
- Rum Cay Day Festival (February)
- Bahamas Heritage Festival, Nassau/Paradise Island (end of April or beg-March)
- Bahamas International Film Festival (December)
- Abaco Christmas Festival (December) – includes food and wine tasting, fireworks
Special Events in Bahamas
- New Year Sailing Regatta, Montagu Bay (January 1 & 2)
- Staniel Cay New Year Day Cruising Regatta
- PokerStars Caribbean Adventure (January) – world’s largest poker tournament apart from Las Vegas
- Crystal Pro-Am Golf Tournament (January)
- Wahoo Smackdown fishing competition (February and November)
- George Town Cruising Regatta (end February or beginning March) – more than 500 yachts in Great Exuma
- Barbardi Rum Cup – two day sailing event (March)
- Family Island Regatta – local sloops (April)
Carnivals and events in other Caribbean countries
As well as Bahamas carnival and festivals do check out what’s going on in other destinations, country by country, on the Caribbean Carnivals page in the Discover section.
DISCOVER the Bahamas… ♥ the Caribbean
Images on this Bahamas Carnival, Festivals, Events page are copyright of Bahamas Tourist Office, www.linda-jackson.co.uk