Barbados Carnival, Festivals & Special Events
On this page discover details of Barbados carnival, festivals, special events, and when to party. Book Barbados tours, excursions and adventures
Barbados special events throughout the year
The most popular Barbados carnival is the Barbados Crop Over festival, held in the month of July – it is also the most colourful festival featuring calypso competitions, Kiddies Kadooment and Grand Kadoomet parades, Cohobblopot, market food stalls and folk concerts. Throughout the Barbados carnival season the island is lively, noisy and full of atmosphere. There is dancing in the streets, street food to be savoured, and music fills the air.
Carnivals in the Caribbean are renowned for their vibrant music and colour. As most, but not all, of the Caribbean major festivals are of a religious nature they take place prior to Lent and finish Ash Wednesday. Costumes made for Barbados carnivals are spectacular, taking months of work. Work often begins on the following year’s costumes as soon as the current year’s carnival is over, especially in Trinidad & Tobago – the biggest carnival in the Caribbean.
There are a number of special events, not of a carnival nature, which also take place throughout the year. Below is a list of the major and most popular Barbados carnival and festivals as well as the major special events. There’s no shortage of things to do in Barbados.
Barbados Carnival & Festivals
- Holetown Festival (Feb)
- Oistins Fish Festival (Easter)
- Gospelfest (May)
- The Barbados Crop Over festival (month of July) is the island’s most popular and colourful festival featuring calypso competitions, Kiddies Kadooment and Grand Kadoomet parades, Cohobblopot, market food stalls and folk concerts
- Food & Wine and Rum Festival (November)
Special Events in Barbados
- Barbados Horticultural Society (BHS) annual flower and Garden Show, Balls Plantation, St Philip (January), and BHS Open Gardens Programme
- Vujaday Music Festival (April) – electronic festival held over five days at numerous locations around the island
- Holders Season (March-April)
- Top Gear Festival hosted by Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond and James May (May)
- The Barbados International Pro Surf Fest (November)
- Run Barbados Festival (December)
Carnivals and events in other Caribbean countries
As well as the Barbados carnival and festivals do check out what’s going on in other destinations, country by country, on the Caribbean Carnivals page in the Discover section.
Explore Barbados… ♥ the Caribbean
Some pages may contain affiliate links. An affiliate link means we may earn advertising/referral fees if you make a purchase via the link but, most importantly, WITHOUT ANY COST TO YOU. This helps to keep this Active Caribbean website and blog up and running… and ACTIVE! Thanks for your support
Images on this Barbados Carnival, Festivals, Events page are copyright of Barbados Tourism Authority, www.linda-jackson.co.uk