Cayman Islands Carnival, Festivals & Special Events
Cayman Islands special events throughout the year
Cayman Islands Carnival – Batabano – takes place during May. As well as an adults’ street parade, there is a Junior Batabano which takes place one week before the main adult parade. The word ‘batabano’ is the name given to the tracks turtles leave on the beach when they crawl up to lay their eggs.
Carnivals in the Caribbean are renowned for their vibrant music and colour. As most, but not all, of the Caribbean major festivals are of a religious nature they take place prior to Lent and finish Ash Wednesday. Costumes made for carnivals are spectacular, taking months of work. Work often begins on the following year’s costumes as soon as the current year’s carnival is over, especially in Trinidad & Tobago – the biggest carnival in the Caribbean.
There are a number of special events, not of a carnival nature, which also take place throughout the year. Below is a list of the major and most popular Cayman Islands carnival and festivals as well as the major special events.
Cayman Islands Carnival & Festivals
- Mardi Gras Festival, the Waterfront, George Town (March)
- Cayman Carnival Batabano takes place during the first week of May where there is an adults’ street parade, masquerade fete, food festival and band competition
- Cayman Carnival Junior Batabano (one week before main parade)
- Jouvert Road Parade (April)
Special Events in Cayman Islands
- Cayman Islands Mercuryman – half iron distance triathlon (January)
- Taste of Cayman Food & Wine Festival (February)
- Off the Beaten Track (OTBT) (February)
- Cayman Islands Orchid Show (March)
- Cayman Islands Winter Music Festival (CIWMF) (March)
- Flowers Sea Swim (one-mile swim Seven Mile Beach) (June)
- Cayman Islands Triathlon (first weekend in November)
- Parade of Lights (December)
Carnivals and events in other Caribbean countries
As well as the Cayman Islands carnival and festivals do check out what’s going on in other destinations, country by country, on the Caribbean Carnivals page in the Discover section.
DISCOVER the Cayman Islands
Explore the Cayman Islands… ♥ the Caribbean
Images on this Cayman Islands Carnival, Festivals & Events page are copyright of Cayman Islands Department of Tourism, Cobalt Coast Dive Resort