Guadeloupe Islands Carnival, Festivals & Special Events
Guadeloupe Islands special events throughout the year
The main cultural event, Guadeloupe Islands Carnival, takes place during the months of January, February and March. It begins in early-January and carries on until Ash Wednesday.
Carnivals in the Caribbean are renowned for their vibrant music and colour. As most, but not all, of the Caribbean major festivals are of a religious nature they take place prior to Lent and finish Ash Wednesday. Costumes made for carnivals are spectacular, taking months of work. Work often begins on the following year’s costumes as soon as the current year’s carnival is over, especially in Trinidad & Tobago – the biggest carnival in the Caribbean.
There are a number of special events, not of a carnival nature, which also take place throughout the year. Below is a list of the major and most popular Guadeloupe Islands carnival and festivals as well as the major special events.
Guadeloupe Islands Carnival & Festivals
- International Film Festival (January)
- Carnival de Guadeloupe (January, February, March)
- Les Nuits Caraibes – music (March)
- Crab Festival (April)
- Marie-Galante International Music Festival (May)
- Arts & Crafts Festival – St Anne (July)
- Gwo-Ka (Big Drum) Festival – music, dances – St Anne (July)
- Festival de la Guadeloupe – food, music, folklore (July & August)
- Festival of Women Cooks (August)
- Le Moule Music Festival (August)
Special Events in Guadeloupe Islands
- Trophee Gardel Regatta – St Francois (March)
- Celebration of the Sea – St Francois (April)
- Slavery Abolition Day (May)
- Volcano Trail International run – Le Soufriere (June)
- Bastille Day (July)
- Victor Schoelcher Day – end to slavery (July)
- Tour de la Guadeloupe – 10 day international cycle race (August)
- Cockfighting Season begins (November)
- Pointe-a-Pitre Jazz Festival (December)
Carnivals and events in other Caribbean countries
As well as the Guadeloupe Islands carnival and festivals do check out what’s going on in other destinations, country by country, on the Caribbean Carnivals page in the Discover section.
DISCOVER the Guadeloupe Islands
Explore the Guadeloupe Islands… ♥ the Caribbean
Images on this Guadeloupe Islands Carnival, Festivals, Events page are copyright of Guadeloupe Islands Tourist Board, Leroy/Magic – HASSON – Office Municipal du Tourisme de Saint-Barthélemy for The Guadeloupe Island Tourist Board, www.linda-jackson.co.uk