Jamaica Carnival, Festivals & Special Events
Jamaica special events throughout the year
The Jamaica carnival – Bacchanal – is getter bigger and BIGGER every year. It starts in January and lasts for eight weeks, with the majority of the main events held during the Easter week in Montego Bay, Negril and the capital, Kingston. Top soca artists entertain, and there’s a lot of revelling going on.
Carnivals in the Caribbean are renowned for their vibrant music and colour. As most, but not all, of the Caribbean major festivals are of a religious nature they take place prior to Lent and finish Ash Wednesday.
There are a number of special events, not of a carnival nature, which also take place throughout the year. Below is a list of the major and most popular Jamaica carnivals and festivals as well as the major special events.
Jamaica Carnival & Festivals
- Jamaica Carnival (Bacchanal) (January for 8 weeks)
- Jamaica Jazz & Blues Festival (January)
- Accompong Maroon Festival (January)
- Blue Mountain Music Festival (BMMF) (February)
- Jamaica Fat Tyre Festival (week-long mountain biking extravaganza) (February)
- Rainforest Seafood and Music Festival (February)
Special Events in Jamaica
- Pineapple Cup Yacht Race (annual 811 nautical miles, classic beat, reach and run sail boat race from Ft Lauderdale to Montego Bay) (February)
- Jakes Off Road Triathlon (April)
- Reggae Sumfest, Montego Bay (5-day music event in July)
Carnivals and events in other Caribbean countries
As well as Jamaica carnival and festivals do check out what’s going on in other destinations, country by country, on the Caribbean Carnivals page in the Discover section.
Explore Jamaica… ♥ the Caribbean