Martinique Carnival, Festivals & Special Events
Martinique special events throughout the year
During the year there are a number of Martinique carnival and festivals, as well as special events, which take place. There is a free guide, published in both French and English, which lists everything that is happening on the island – it’s called the Choubouloute, so pick one up when you arrive.
Carnivals in the Caribbean are renowned for their vibrant music and colour. As most, but not all, of the Caribbean major festivals are of a religious nature they take place prior to Lent and finish Ash Wednesday. Costumes made for carnivals are spectacular, taking months of work. Work often begins on the following year’s costumes as soon as the current year’s carnival is over, especially in Trinidad & Tobago – the biggest carnival in the Caribbean.
There are a number of special events, not of a carnival nature, which also take place throughout the year. Below is a list of the major and most popular Martinique carnivals and festivals as well as the major special events.
Martinique Carnival & Festivals
- Carnival de Martinique (January, February, March)
- Crab Festival – Grand Riviere (April)
- La Fete de la Musique (June)
- Biguine Jazz Festival (August)
- Martinique Jazz Festival (December)
- Rum Festival (Deember)
Special Events in Martinique
- Schoelcher Nautical Week (February/March)
- Martinique Surf Pro (April)
- Martinique Jetracer World Championship (April)
- Labour Day (May 1)
- Slavery Abolition Day (May 22)
- St Marie Culinary Week (May)
- Madiflora Flower Fair (June)
- Bastille Day (July 14)
- Le Tour de Martinique – cycling race (July)
- Armistice Day (November 11)
- La Belle Martinique – amateur cycling race (November)
- Pool Art Fair (November)
- International Deep Sea Fishing Contest (November)
Carnivals and events in other Caribbean countries
As well as the Martinique carnival and festivals do check out what’s going on in other destinations, country by country, on the Caribbean Carnivals page in the Discover section.
Explore Martinique… ♥ the Caribbean
Images on this Martinique Carnival, Festivals, Events page are copyright of Luc Olivier for the Martinique Tourist Board, Atout France, IAGTO (accommodation), www.linda-jackson.co.uk